5 April 2020:
Dear industry member
In the last week since the Level 4 lockdown period began, there has been a fair bit of confusion amongst some members about what can and cannot be done by essential industry producers of products such as eggs.
The guidance below has been received from MBIE.
MBIE has clarified the position for small egg producers as follows:
Egg delivery is acceptable as it falls under the previous decision on food delivery, which allows whole-food delivery (only prohibits pre-prepared).
Under the following conditions and guidance
The delivery of these eggs must be done in a way that minimises the risk of COVID-19 transmission. Businesses should:
- minimise, or eliminate if possible, physical interactions among staff and with and between customers
- ensure appropriate health, hygiene and safety measures are in place
- restrict activity to only what is essential during the Alert Level 4 period.
These practices may include:
- working from home as much as possible
- limiting, or eliminating if possible, physical interaction between staff, e.g. through physical distancing, split shifts, staggered meal breaks and flexible working arrangements
- limiting, or eliminating if possible, physical interaction with and between customers, e.g. through online or phone orders, contactless delivery or managed entry (while also avoiding crowding outside), and physical distancing both inside and outside the premises
- hygiene basics of hand washing and sanitisers
- frequent cleaning of premises, especially counters and eftpos terminals, and other high-touch surfaces (cleaning advice is available on the Ministry of Health website)
- protective equipment for staff as appropriate.
Obviously certain markets for these egg producers are now closed, e.g. farmers markets, but this confirms that the subscription service may continue as EPF has described it.
PLEASE NOTE: The information EPF has provided here is what has been provided to us by MPI /MBIE.
If you have a specific enquiry relating to your business (Primary Industries) and the ability to open, then the contact details are
[email protected] or 0800008333
The particular circumstances that relate to your business and your plans to mitigate virus transmission can be discussed via the above contacts. They will have the ability to decide.